- Duration: +/- 3,5 hours
- Suggested start time: 3:00pm
- Group Size: 35 – 40 participants
- Practicalities: Because of the extensive walking, comfortable shoes and a hat are required.
- Included: Licensed English speaking guide & entrance tickets
- Note: This tour is offered only privately. Please e-mail us for availability and pricing
This tour includes a wonderful drive along the scenic coastal road of the Saronic Gulf passing through some of Athens most beautiful suburbs (Glyfada, Lake of Vouliagmeni, and Varkiza). Sounion has been a sacred site since ancient times. The “sanctuary of Sounion” is first mentioned in the Odyssey, as the place where Menelaus stopped during his return from Troy to bury his helmsman, Phrontes Onetorides. Archaeological evidence has shown that there were two organized places of worship on the cape by the 7th century BC: a sanctuary of Poseidon at the southern edge and a sanctuary of Athena about 500 meters to the northeast.